Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas released in rock, soil, and water that can build up to dangerous levels inside any home. The U.S. Surgeon General recommends all homes be tested for radon. This can help protect you and your family from a key cause of lung cancer.
Radon is a naturally-occurring radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. Radon gas is inert, colorless and odorless - which makes it nearly impossible to detect without a proper inspection.
Any home can have a radon problem. This means new and old homes, well-sealed and drafty homes, and homes with or without basements. Nearly 1 out of every 15 homes in the United States is estimated to have an elevated radon level.
All radon tests require a minimum of 48 hours and it must be located in the lowest part of the house. In addition to the 48 hour minimum test period, charcoal canisters require additional days to return the canisters to a test lab before results can be obtained.
Build-up of radon in homes is a health concern and many lung cancer cases are attributed to radon exposure each year. About 12% of lung cancers and more than 20,000 Americans die of radon-related lung cancer each year.
If you find that you have high radon levels, there are ways to fix a radon problem. Even very high levels can be reduced to acceptable levels. Usually, radon problems are fixed using an underground ventilation system or by increasing the rate of air changes in the building.
Radon gas becomes trapped indoors after it enters buildings through cracks and other holes in the foundation. Indoor radon can be controlled and managed with proven, cost-effective techniques.